Paper crafting is works of heart

Paper crafting is works of heart!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

PWMB Blog Hop challenge and cause

www.operationwritehome.org

Crafters are desired to create general occasion cards (leave a blank liner or area for writing)to be sent overseas to US military. They will have a chance to select a desired card to use to send back home to a loved one. The website explains what to avoid in making the card, how to prepare it specifically for the military and also how to get cards to the volunteer shippers.

Today I started making a few to send and with the first 2 I used mostly Paper Wishes products. Here's a quick tutorial:

Paper Wishes products: white cards and envelopes, card fronts & inside punched circles papers (HOTP's girlfriend gifts Journal Kits), vine punch (Tonic Studios), scalloped circle punch, and friendship sentiment (HOTP's 1,000 Card Quote CD)

Other products: adhesive stickies, papers & word processing (own supplies for "hello", "hope your day is brighter", "missing our times together" sentiments & "from:" signing strips, 4 different decorative edged scissors plus a straight edge pair (or paper cutter), white liner papers, blue and purple ink stamp pads

Steps for card fronts:
1. Cut purple patterned paper to cover background (approx. 5" x 6 1/2") and adhere to card front (I used a horizontal layout.)
2. Cut 3 strips each from a different paper that coordinates with background; used a different dec-edge scissor for each paper strip and just on the long horizontal sides in order to make it easier/quicker to line up and adhere; before adhering--use vine punch or similar one and evenly space punches (I used the width of the punch as my spacer); decide what order to arrange paper strips and then adhere.
3. One card has "hello!" added to the front and the other has a friendship quote. (adhere well--esp for military so nothing gets caught under edges of add-ons)

Steps for card inside layouts:
1. Apply blue and purple ink from stamp pads in random arrangement around the inside edges of cardstock. Let dry before adhering anything.
2. Before applying white liner paper, use decorative edge scissors around edges to give an added creative touch.
3. I usually like to have a signing strip or shape of plain paper or cardstock when selling or giving cards to someone else to use.
4. Since my card form was white and my liner paper was white, that's why I used the blue and purple stamped ink as well as added the punched circles and sentiment strips. It still leaves plenty of white space for the military service man/woman to write a personal message. This step is optional.

On back: OWH's guidelines ask that you label the back with their name. I've added a date stamp for when I created the card and also my blog address rather than giving my personal name or address. You can choose just to give the OWH label.

See photos of how I used identical papers to create 2 different cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My heartfelt thanks for visiting my blog.